The Stuck in the ’80s gang released their most recent podcast this weekend, with their topic being The Horrible Hits of 1987. They count down the worst songs that became hits in 1987. Some of their choices are controversial. Here is their list:
10. I’ve Had the Time of My Life – Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes
9. Songbird – Kenny G
8. I Think We’re Alone Now – Tiffany
7. With or Without You – U2
6. Head to Toe – Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam
5. Wanted Dead or Alive – Bon Jovi
4. Respect Yourself – Bruce Willis
3. La Isla Bonita – Madonna
2. Always – Atlantic Starr
1. Heaven is a Place on Earth
I can’t believe “With or Without You” was on there. Same with “Wanted Dead or Alive”. But I do remember how MTV was heavily promoting Bon Jovi’s new video at the time, but would not say what it was. Everybody assumed that it would be “Never Say Goodbye”, but it ended up being “Wanted Dead or Alive”. I did not care too much for the song until Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora performed their historic unplugged version on the 1989 MTV Video Music Awards.
Does anybody think that any of these other songs don’t belong on the list? Are there other hits from 1987 that should be on the list instead?