Stuck in the ’80s found a list of The 10 Best Love Songs From ’80s Movies at the site Flavorwire. Here is the list from Flavorwire:
10. “Up Where We Belong” — Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes [An Officer and a Gentleman, 1984]
9. “Edge of Forever” — Dream Academy [Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, 1986]
8. “Cry Little Sister” — Gerard McMann [Lost Boys, 1987]
7. “In the Air Tonight” — Phil Collins [Risky Business, 1983]
6. “If You Leave” — OMD [Pretty in Pink, 1986]
5. “Power of Love” — Huey Lewis & The News [Back to the Future, 1985]
4. “Don’t You Forget About Me” — Simple Minds [The Breakfast Club, 1985]
3. “(I’ve Had) The Time of My Life” — Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes [Dirty Dancing, 1987]
2. “Take My Breath Away” — Berlin [Top Gun, 1986]
1. “In Your Eyes” — Peter Gabriel [Say Anything, 1989]
You can check out the Stuck in the ’80s page to get their thoughts on each song from the list.
Instead of commenting on these songs, I decided to create my own list:
“Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now” – Starship [Mannequin, 1987] – This #1 smash hit was my favorite song at the time it came out. Until I overplayed it.
“Crazy For You” – Madonna [Vision Quest, 1985] – Oh how we long for the days when Madonna won us over with her talent instead of relying too much on shock value.
“Arthur’s Theme (The Best That You Can Do)” – Christopher Cross [Arthur, 1981] – Christopher Cross had an incredible start to his career, which peaked with this song. This instantly brings me back to the early ’80s. Love it!
“Surrender to Me” – Ann Wilson and Robin Zander [Tequila Sunrise, 1988] – Awesome combination of powerhouse Ann Wilson of Heart and Robin Zander of Cheap Trick. One of my favorite duets of the ’80s. I liked this song a million times more than the movie itself.
“Heaven in Your Eyes” – Loverboy [Top Gun, 1986] – Berlin had the smash hit ballad from Top Gun with “Take My Breathe Away” – which I never understood. I love Berlin, but hate that boring song. I much prefer this ballad from Loverboy.
“St. Elmo’s Fire Love Theme (For Just a Moment)” – David Foster [St. Elmo’s Fire, 1985] – The instrumental version of this song was the one that was played on the radio. But, I love the song with the lyrics. This was also the theme song for our Junior prom, so I have a soft spot for this.
“If You Leave” – OMD [Pretty in Pink, 1986] – Great, classic ’80s sound.
“Almost Paradise” – Mike Reno and Ann Wilson [Footloose, 1984] – The second song with Ann Wilson in a movie ballad duet. This was a great song off of a great soundtrack. Ann sounds awesome with Loverboy’s Mike Reno.
“The Glory of Love” – Peter Cetera [The Karate Kid Part II, 1986] – Wow, Peter Cetera and Chicago could co-exist separately! I could not get enough of this song when it came out. I remember constantly listening to this song at the beach throughout the summer of ’86.
“In Your Eyes” – Peter Gabriel [Say Anything, 1989] – The ultimate ’80s love song from an ultimate ’80s movie. You don’t need to know how to play guitar and sing in order to serenade a girl. Just pop this song in your boombox, blast it, hold the radio over your head, and hope for the best.
So what are some of your favorite love songs from ’80s movies?