Welcome to a new podcast series called, Return to 1989. Inspired by T.G Monahan’s Dreamin’ in ’89, we decided to take a look back and see what happened 30 years ago. Todd “T.G.” Monahan Return to 1989 to go over news events, movie releases, and album releases. This month, we Return to January. If you have anything you would like us to discuss, or if you had any personal stories or milestones from this year, please let us know. You can either comment below, or email us at Returntothe80s@gmail.com.
– Jan 8 “42nd Street” closes at Winter Garden Theater NYC after 3,486 performances and “Starlight Express” closes at Gershwin Theater NYC after 761 performances
– Jan 9 “Pat Sajak Show” premieres on CBS
The Pat Sajak Show is an American late-night television talk show which aired on CBS from January 9, 1989 to April 13, 1990.
– Jan 10 LA Kings center Wayne Gretzky becomes NHL’s all-time leading scorer in combined regular season & playoff points; 4 assists in 5-4 home win over Edmonton brings his total to 2,011, 1 more than Gordie Howe.
– Jan 13 “Ryan’s Hope” ends 13½ year run on ABC-TV
– Jan 20 George H. W. Bush inaugurated as 41st US President, Dan Quayle becomes 44th Vice President
– Jan 22 Super Bowl XXIII, Joe Robbie Stadium, Miami, FL: San Francisco 49ers beat Cincinnati Bengals, 20-16; MVP: Jerry Rice, SF, WR
– Jan 28 46th Golden Globes: “Rain Man”, Dustin Hoffman, & Jodie Foster win
Gleaming the Cube
The January Man
No Retreat, No Surrender 2
January 9 A Show of Hands – Rush
January 10 New York – Lou Reed
January 23 Oh Yes I Can – David Crosby
Lōc-ed After Dark – Tone Lōc
January 24 Electric Youth – Debbie Gibson
Skid Row – Skid Row
January 25 After the War – Gary Moore
January 30 Fabulous Disaster – Exodus
Technique – New Order
January 31 Life Is…Too Short – Too Short
Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich – Warrant
If you’d like to contact Todd, and/or order the book, he can be reached in the following places: